As part of your Learning Community experience, you are invited to join an exciting trip to Chicago, IL! This is a great opportunity for you to learn about possible career options and hear from professionals currently working in your field. You’ll also get to experience some of Chicago’s world-renowned sites.
This trip will be a great opportunity to bond with members of your Learning Community and your Learning Community Mentor.
There will also be several other Learning Communities traveling with us, so you will get to know other students from a variety of backgrounds and interests.
The trip will take place Thursday, October 1 through Saturday, October 3, 2015. We have several activities planned, as well as time for each Learning Community to participate in a “behind the scenes” tour of a business or organization related to your community’s specific focus.
We’re still finalizing some specifics, but will be sending out information to you both digitally and through the mail later in the summer with additional details.
Learning Communities participating include:
- Advertising & PR: Opening the Door to Communication Careers
- Business Around the World: Global Perspectives
- Business Leaders: Start your Future Today
- Discover the Classroom: A Passion for Teaching
- Discover the Healthy Human: Nutrition & Health Sciences
- Exploring Medicine
- Exploring Nursing
- Media Smarts
- Programming and Building the Future: Computer Science and Computer Engineering
- Psyched Up! Analyzing Psychology
- University Exploration
Learning Communities BIG Trip Tentative Itinerary
October 1-3, 2015
- Travel: Lincoln, NE to Chicago, IL
- Thursday, October 1, 2015
- Local Tourism Activity: The Second City
- Thursday October 1, 2015
- See The Second City’s 103rd Revue, Panic on Cloud 9. The Second City is an improvisational group based out of Chicago that has produced several stars over the years and is known for their original comedy.
- Major/Career Exploration Activity
- Friday, October 2, 2015 (morning through early afternoon, lunch provided)
- This will be the time when each Learning Community student participates in unique activities that showcase possibilities for internships and/or career options related to the LC’s focus area.
- Local Tourism Activity: Navy Pier
- Friday, October 2, 2015 (early afternoon into evening)
- Free time to explore the pier provided. Students will be responsible for purchasing their own evening meal at the pier.
- Cultural Activity: Chicago 360
- Friday, October 2, 2015
- See 360 degree views of Chicago’s skyline
- Educational Activity: Museum of Science and Industry
- Saturday October 3, 2015 (morning)
- Explore and engage in a highly interactive museum that brings science to life.
- Travel: Chicago, IL to Lincoln, NE
- Saturday October 3, 2015 (depart Chicago early afternoon and arrive back in Lincoln before 8:00 pm)