This fall, nine different First-Year Learning Communities (FYLC) will be venturing to Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN to explore possible career options though behind-the-scenes tours of different institutions and businesses, as well as engage in cultural activities and educational experiences, all within a whirlwind three-day trip.
The following FYLCs are participating in this year's trip:
- Advertising and PR: Opening the Door to Communication Careers
- Beyond the Practice Room: Developing Music Professionals
- Developing Business Leaders: Start Your Future Today
- Discover the Classroom: A Passion for Teaching
- Discover the Healthy Human: Nutrition & Health Sciences
- Exploring Nursing
- Melvin W. Jones Scholars
- Programming and Building the Future: Computer Science & Computer Engineering
- Psyched Up! Analyzing Psychology
Learning Communities BIG Trip Tentative Itinerary
September 11-13, 2014
Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN (Twin Cities)
- Travel: Lincoln, NE to Minneapolis, MN
- Thursday, September 11, 2014, depart 3:00pm
- Major/Career Exploration Activity
- Friday, September 12, 2014 (morning through early afternoon, lunch provided)
- This will be the time where each Learning Community has unique activities that showcase possibilities for internships and/or career options related to the LC’s focus area.
- Local Tourism Activity: Mall of America
- Friday, September 12, 2014 (early afternoon into evening)
- Free time to explore the mall provided. Students will be responsible for purchasing their own evening meal at the Mall.
- Cultural Activity: Guthrie Theater
- Friday, September 12, 2014
- We have booked tickets for an opening night show at the famous Guthrie Theater to see The White Snake, a funny, moving play based on an ancient Chinese Legend by Tony Award winning playwright, Mary Zimmerman.
- Educational Activity: Minneapolis Institute of Arts
- Saturday September 13, 2014 (morning)
- Explore both the current and temporary exhibits of the museum while seeing works from a wide range of backgrounds and periods.
- Travel: Minneapolis, MN to Lincoln, NE
- Saturday September 13, 2014 (depart Minnesota early afternoon and arrive back in Lincoln before 8:00pm)
Major/Career Exploration Activity Details
Advertising and PR: Opening the Door to Communication Careers
To start their day, students will learn from Colle + McVoy, get a tour of the agency, and learn from them about what it is like at an ad agency in the twin cities.
In the afternoon students will learn from advertising staff at the Minnesota Twins and get a behind-the-scenes tour of facilities at Target Field.
Beyond the Practice Room: Developing Music Professionals
We're still finalizing all details for this LC's experience--check back later!
Developing Business Leaders: Start Your Future Today
In the morning, LC students will learn about the "team behind the team," in a behind-the-scenes tour of the Minnesota Twins' marketing department.
Following lunch, LC students will visit Infinite Campus, the largest American-owned student information system company. The CEO will meet with LC students to talk how collaboration, creativity, and teamwork are essential to a successful business model.
Discover the Classroom: A Passion for Teaching
As one of the day's activities, LC students will enjoy a behind-the-scenes tour of the Science Museum of Minnesota, where students will learn about lesson planning, pedagogical strategies for designing museum exhibits, and practical advice for teaching science to elementary-age students.
We're finalizing the details on this LC's afternoon experience--check back later!
Discover the Healthy Human: Nutrition & Health Sciences
Students in this LC will learn about the different elements of nutrition and health sciences that comprise the athletic training facilities of a major-league baseball team, with a tour of the Minnesota Twins' facilities.
Later in the day, LC students will visit Abbott Northwestern Hospital to learn about how nutrition and health sciences specialists contribute to health care in a hospital setting.
LC students will tour the Minneapolis VA Health Care System. Through the tour, LC students will learn about nursing roles in the Veterans Affairs Health Care System--one of the fastest growing areas of employment for nurses. Additionally, VA facilities often have access to the newest health care technologies.
Details on a second activity are still being confirmed--check back later!
Melvin W. Jones Scholars
All details for this LC's experience are being finalized--check back later!
Programming and Building the Future: Computer Science and Computer Engineering
LC students will start the day with a visit to The Nerdery, a software consulting company. LC students will learn about software design, how a software company can effectively partner with clients, and successful strategies for staying on top of the ever-changing field of software design and engineering.
Later in the day, LC students will visit Infinite Campus, a company specializing in K-12 student information systems. The CEO will meet with the students to discuss the challenges of creating and maintaining a successful software company that supports education and meets the ever-changing needs of the field.
Psyched Up! Analyzing Psychology
In the morning, LC students will tour Open Arms, a non-profit community outreach program that cooks and delivers free meals specifically tailored to meet the nutritional needs of individuals with chronic and/or life-threatening diseases, ranging from HIV/AIDS to breast cancer. LC students will learn about this unique program and how a degree in psychology can prepare them for similar career opportunities.
In the afternoon, the LC students will visit the Judicial Branch of the Minnesota state government, to learn about the various roles psychology professionals play in the judicial system.
The following completed documents are due with the trip deposit of $100 by Wednesday, August 27, 2014:
- Trip Commitment Form
- Medical/Insurance Form for Students Under 19 or Medical/Insurance Form for Students 19 Years and Older
Prior to August 27, you may use the postage-paid return envelope included in your trip invitation letter to submit your forms and deposit, or you may turn them in to the Learning Communities Staff in Abel 123 during Residence Hall Move-In at the following times:
- Thursday, August 21: 1:00 pm – 4:00 pm
- Friday, August 22: 9:00 am – 12:00 pm
The remainder of the trip fee ($60) is due by Wednesday, September 3, 2014.