As part of your Learning Community experience, you are invited to join an exciting trip to Chicago, IL! This is a great opportunity for you to learn about possible career options and hear from professionals currently working in your chosen field. You’ll also get to experience some of Chicago’s world-renowned sites.
This trip will be a great opportunity to bond with members of your Learning Community and your Learning Community Mentor.
There will also be several other Learning Communities traveling with us, so you will get to know other students from a variety of backgrounds and interests.
The trip will take place Thursday, February 22 through Saturday, February 24, 2018. We have several activities planned, as well as time for each Learning Community to participate in “behind the scenes” tours of businesses or organizations related to your community’s specific focus.
Learning Communities participating include:
- Business Around the World: Global Perspectives
- Business Leaders: Start your Future Today
- Discover the Classroom: A Passion for Teaching
- Discover the Healthy Human: Nutrition & Health Sciences
- Media Smarts: Broadcasting, Journalism & Sports Communication
- Melvin W. Jones Scholars
- Pre-Law Opportunities: Preparing for your J.D. and Beyond
- Programming and Building the Future: Computer Science and Computer Engineering
- Psyched Up! Analyzing Psychology
Examples of Specific Visits from Last Year's Trip
Business Around the World and Business Leaders
- An expansive company specializing in professional services, students learned about an array of different disciplines while visiting.
- Wells Fargo
- Students experienced the regional headquarters of Wells Fargo and saw how a large bank operates.
- Matter Chicago
- Students visited Matter, a unique enterprise working through a shared space to encourage collaboration throughout a wide range of fields.
Discover the Classroom: A Passion for Teaching
Discover the Healthy Human: Nutrition & Health Sciences
- Soldier Field
- Students toured behind the scenes of the Chicago Bears' home stadium and saw the facilities it takes to make an NFL team operate.
- Chicago Tribune
- Students met with Husker Alumni to learn about working in a nationally-renowned news organization.
Programming and Building the Future: Computer Science and Computer Engineering
- Students will learn how signal integrates data to impact an array of different industries and how they reach people on multiple platforms from web to mobile.
Psyched Up! Analyzing Psychology
- Roosevelt University I/O Psychology
- Here, students will hear about Industrial/Organizational Psychology, one of the fastest growing fields, and they will hear from current Professors and PhD students in the field.
- Lincoln Park Zoo
- Psychology students will learn how a bachelor’s degree in Psychology can be applied in a variety of settings, specifically the zoo and working with the public.
Learning Communities BIG Trip Tentative Itinerary
February 22-24, 2018