As part of your Learning Community experience, we would like to invite you to join us for an exciting trip to Chicago, IL September 20 - 22, 2018. This is a great opportunity for you to hear from professionals currently working in your chosen field, learn about possible future careers, and network with other students in Learning Communities. You’ll also get to experience some of Chicago’s world-renowned sites attractions!
This trip will be a great opportunity to bond with members of your Learning Community and your Learning Community Mentor.
There will also be several other Learning Communities traveling with us, so you will get to know other students from a variety of backgrounds and interests.
The trip will take place Thursday, September 20th - Saturday, September 22nd, 2018. We have several activities planned, as well as time for each Learning Community to participate in “behind the scenes” tours of businesses or organizations related to your community’s specific focus.
Learning Communities participating in the BIG Trip 2018 include:
- Business Leaders: Start your Future Today
- Business Opportunities: Find Your Fit
- Discover the Classroom: A Passion for Teaching
- Discover the Healthy Human: Nutrition & Health Sciences
- Media Smarts: Broadcasting, Journalism & Sports Communication
- Melvin W. Jones Scholars
- Pre-Law Opportunities: Preparing for your J.D. and Beyond
- Computing For Good: Computer Science and Engineering
- Computing Your Future: Computer Science and Engineering
- Psyched Up! Analyzing Psychology
- Responsible Design: Architecture, Interior Design, & Landscape Architecture
Examples of Specific Visits from Last Year's Trip
Business Leaders & Business Opportunities
- Students met a few Nebraska alumni who work at this expansive company and learned about an array of different careers in professional services.
- Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago
- Students met with one of "The Fed's" VPs to hear how the bank influences the economy we live in.
- Catapult Chicago
- Students visited Catapult, a collaborative working space for entrepreneurs and professionals working in a range of fields.
Discover the Classroom
- Art Institute of Chicago
- Students explored the museum and experienced a workshop on utilizing the visual arts in the classroom.
- Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum
- Students had a private workshop on the science inquiry model and pedagogy as well as a full museum tour.
Discover the Healthy Human
- Soldier Field
- Students toured behind the scenes of the Chicago Bears' home stadium and saw the facilities it takes to make an NFL team operate.
- Big Ten Network
- Students got a backstage pass to explore the BTN studio and learn about sports broadcasting.
- The Onion
- Students spoke with experts at this leading news publication to learn about careers in this field.
Computing your future & computing for good
- Students learned how signal integrates data to impact an array of different industries and how they reach people on multiple platforms from web to mobile.
- Students toured Google's Chicago office and heard from professionals regarding their unique work culture.
- Roosevelt University I/O Psychology
- Here, students heard about Industrial/Organizational Psychology, one of the fastest growing fields, and heard from current Professors and PhD students in the field.
- Lincoln Park Zoo
- Psychology students learned how a bachelor’s degree in Psychology can be applied in a variety of settings, specifically the zoo and working with the public.
LC BIG Trip 2018 Tentative Itinerary
- Thursday, September 20, 2018
- Travel via charter bus from Lincoln, NE to Chicago, IL
- Dinner at Giordano’s Pizza: Chicago's famous deep dish pizza
- Evening entertainment at Second City: the world's premier comedy club
- Friday, September 21, 2018
- "Major/Career Exploration" Day: Each LC will have experiences specific to their LC throughout the day
- "Choose Your Own Adventure" Evening: Explore the city through various excursion options.
- Saturday, September 22, 2018