To apply for a First-Year Learning Community, you must complete your Housing Contract no later than May 1. However, space is limited and applications are accepted on a first-come, first-served basis, so complete your Contract as soon as possible!
Housing Contracts will become available in mid-December to students who have been admitted and paid their University enrollment deposit. Once you receive notice of the Housing Contract’s availability, go to the online Contract and log in using the information provided.
On the Learning Communities page (Step 6), you will be asked whether or not you want to join a Learning Community. Select "Yes" for this question.
The following page (Step 7) will now become available, and will provide you with a full list of available Learning Communities for the 2017-2018 year.
To apply for a specific Learning Community, choose that community from the drop-down box. There is the ability to select up to three preferences for a First-Year Learning Community. If your first selection is full, this will automatically allow you to be considered for your next preference.
If you do not wish to select a second or third choice, leave the appropriate drop down menu(s) blank. Once you have completed all information on the page, click “Continue.”
Information about your Learning Community application status will be sent to you within three weeks to confirm the details of your application.Later in the spring you will be given information about roommate selection and room selection within your Learning Community.
If you have questions or wish to change your Learning Community preferences after you save them, you will need to contact the Learning Communities office at (402) 472-7128 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Change requests must be sent in writing to our email address.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Why should I join a First-Year Learning Community?
- Meet new people right away
- Benefit from increased interactions with faculty and staff
- Connect with knowledgeable upperclass student mentors
- Enjoy programs to help you succeed academically
- Gain chances to network with people in your field of study
- Connect with alumni
- What if I don’t know what I want to major in yet?
- That’s fine! We have a First-Year Learning Community, University Exploration, designed specifically for students who have not yet decided on a major. Also, many of our First-Year Learning Communities are interest-based and do not require a specific major.
- What is the cost of a First-Year Learning Community?
- Students in a First-Year Learning Community will be billed an additional $95 through University Housing in September. This nominal fee helps fund your community’s activities and subsidize relevant travel expenses.
- What if I change my major?
- Most First-Year Learning Community classes will meet ACE general education requirements, which are accepted in all degree programs.
- I have already taken one of the courses the First-Year Learning Community takes together; can I still be in it?
- Yes! At your New Student Enrollment orientation session, you will work with an academic adviser to verify the learning community courses are right for you. If there is a course you already have credit in, you will not be expected to retake that course.
- Can I request a roommate?
- You may request a roommate if that person has also been accepted to the same First-Year Learning Community. While you are not required to request a roommate, you can utilize the Roommate Finder tool in your MyRED account up until April 1.
- What should I do if I am interested in a First-Year Learning Community, but my first choice residence hall is not home to that Learning Community?
- To be part of a First-Year Learning Community, you must live with that community. If you select a different hall as your first choice, the Learning Community preference will override the hall preference, if you are admitted to the Learning Community.